Wednesday, 24 January 2018
You find me on this Tuesday evening in bed with a banging headache and a hot water bottle wedged behind my back. Whilst this is a cosy situation it's not ideal. A very bad landing from a handstand this morning at uni has left me with in quite a lot of pain. Somehow I managed to knee myself in the face which explains the headache, but don't ask how or why! Pair this with a head cold and enough work to keep me busy for weeks, I'm feeling a little bit sorry for myself. However that's the point of Wonderful Wednesday isn't it? To get us through harder times by appreciating the good bits of the week and the little things that make me smile. So I've had a really hot shower and am eating roast vegetable pizza so it's time to start the show...
1. Going out because it's Monday. Because sometimes Monday is a cause for celebration and chocolate fudge cake. We went for a lovely walk by the sea then settled ourselves in for two course of loveliness at Wildwood. The food was amazing and we rolled how happy and full. In amazing company I spent the evening laughing then snuggled up to catch up with Call the Midwife. Not sure Mondays get better.
2. Daffodils. Daffodils signify the start of spring for me and I got way too overexcited this week when I noticed my first flowers in bloom. They give me promise that warmer days and more blooms are on their way. I literally ran to get a closer look like a child! When do we lose that excitement over tiny things in everyday life, because I want more of it?
3. First game of the year. This weekend was our first cricket games of the year for uni and I thoroughly enjoyed them. I had a new challenge of captaining as our regular captain was away. It made me realise how lucky I am to have amazing teammates who will support and encourage each other through a Sunday afternoon. Even though it left me an aching mess the next day!
4. Phone Calls. Sometimes I feel very far from friends and family. This week has been one of those times. At times like this it's so important to hear their voice. To know you can have a conversation even from miles away. I've been lucky enough to have amazing friends and family on the end of a phone who will put a smile on my face however I feel.
5. Cloudy Apple Juice. A very specific one, but it's made me happy this week. Finding cartons of cheap cloudy apple juice in Aldi has really quenched my thirst.
6. A great bowl of Gnocchi. A steaming, warming bowl of stodge. With far too much tomatoey, bacony sauce, because I can never quite get proportions right. The excess sauce got mopped up by cheesy garlic bread. This was the perfect dinner after playing cricket.
7. Newsletters. I can't get over how lovely it is to have motivational, inspirational and downright lovely things winging their way into my inbox. This week Sophie Cliff, Grace Latter and Peta have been brilliant this week. Please go and check them out!
And that's it for another week. It's been a tough week, but writing this has perked me up no end. There's always good things in every week. For more wonderfulness head over to see these lovely ladies: Sally, Jo, Helen, Michelle, Sarah, Cat, Sam, El , Kerri, Mimmi, Martina , Peta, Kelly and Emma. Or find us on twitter and instagram with #wonderfulwednesday.
Wednesday, 17 January 2018
Well how are you doing? It has been so so long since I have spoken on this space. Everything seems to have crashed towards me at a million miles an hour. I really just think life needs a pause button sometimes. So that we can just collect all our thoughts together, catch up and wallow in the good moments. We've had so much to contend with... lots of cricket wins, Christmas and meeting someone new who has put a massive smile on my face to name a few.
But here we are and it's business as usual, I will be recounting all the things this week that have made me smile:
1. Day on the moors. Having lived in Devon for a year and half now I can't believe this weekend was my first visit to the moors. I spent the whole car journey with my face pressed up to the glass, in awe of the stunning views. We wrapped up warm and walked, stepped over rocks and took in the vastness of the landscape. After all this excitement a picnic and an ice cream were in order. Even the sun made an appearance and I can't wait for my next visit to Dartmoor.
2. Submitting the essay. Finally! This one was a killer. I'm talking days spent solidly in the library and not being sure if I'd ever fins what I wanted to say. But the relief when it was done was great. I rewarded myself with a burger and an evening with friends.
3. Dance. Just the freedom of being able to move my body into beautiful shapes that have meaning. The creative process of dance really excites me. I haven't danced for years and this university module has me all sorts of excited. My body is aching, but my mind is flying.
4. Cricket training. This week was the first training back after Christmas and I really enjoyed it. I like being back and focusing on improving myself. I feel like I am becoming more aware of how I can improve and what I need to do. This awareness is new and I kind of like how aware I am of the capabilities of my body and how I can shape these.
5. Flowers. Everytime I walk past the kitchen table I smile. There sit my bunch of flowers. I was given them the moment I stepped off the train into Plymouth and they never fail to brighten my day.
6. Blue Skies. In between these massive downpours we've been having there have been some beautiful blue skies. The kind of clear, crisp skies that leave chilly fingers, but bright bright days. In winter I find these blue days are just what I need to cut through the grey, dim days.
7. Cake. Today I baked a cake for the first time since I've been at university and it was bloody brilliant. Filled with jam and cream and covered in chocolate fudge icing, it was magnificent and just as tasty!
So that's all for this week. I promise I won't leave it so long next time, because I've missed bringing together the lovely bits of the week. For more wonderfulness head over to see these lovely ladies: Sally, Jo, Helen, Michelle, Sarah, Cat, Sam, El , Kerri, Mimmi, Martina , Peta, Kelly and Emma. Or find us on twitter and instagram with #wonderfulwednesday.